Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Soundgear SRX basses - pickups ok?

JimBobTTD

Hi

I'm looking for a good quality inexpensive bass which I don't need to worry about as much as my older Ibanez or my Fender JB Special. I tried an older Ibanez SRX400 bass - I liked the feel, but I couldn't get on with the scratchplate and colour. The [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page2008.php?area_id=3&data_id=632&color=CL01&year=2008&cat_id=2&series_id=34"]SRX350[/url] has an ash body and at a hair over £200 looks VERY tempting. But I'm worried about the pickups - some online research tells me they are good for heavy metal (which is what I'm playing right now), but I am worried about being able to replace them if I tire of their reported one-dimensional sound. Are these a unique design? I don't see any possible replacements in Seymour Duncan's line, nor (horror!) EMG. The ridge on the Ibby pickups really is perfect for resting your thumb on - surely some other pickup maker has realised this and makes a replacement?

Any other thoughts about them? I'm giving some serious consideration to picking one up when I'm over in London next month, so if you have any reservations about them, let me know!

If you play metal, then have a serious look at the SRX range - you are correct in that they are basically the METAL range from Ibby (although metal players have been using the Soundgear range for ages now anyway).

The pickups are musicman equivalents, HOT outputs on some of the one I've tried, not the sort of Bass you want to record with - live they cut through very nice. The 350 I tried had such a growl to it, definately suited for rock and metal.

So you never know, you might not want to change them after you hear them! Ibanez are making some great basses in 2008 with loads of value - check this out too:

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR300"]http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR300[/url]

It's been getting rave reviews, agathis body, slim neck, great stock sound, comes in a five string version as well for a little over the 200 squids mark if you shop around. Also, would be 'easier' to change the pups on that one, and give you a bit more choice.

Thanks for the reply, metalmickey. When you say that the pickups are MM equivalents, do you mean that MM pickups would fit without any need for surgery?

This is all probably moot...I'm quite taken with the idea of one, and at 200 quid I could pick one up when I'm in London next month, take it back here and sell it second hand for the same price if I don't like it. They cost twice as much new here, but I haven't had a chance to find one yet.

"The 350 I tried had such a growl to it" - that is [b][u]precisely [/u][/b]the sound I'm looking for!

Not really a match in terms of dimensions, but the sound from the one I had was as close to that sort of tone I could get for the price range - fat, zingy and GROWLY. Just like ya wanted! :)

p.s - try and have a look around for an SRX 500 or 505 (I think), last year's middle of the road model - the hike in quality and a high-mass bridge make for a workhorse live/practice bass - I've seen them go for little over 200 squids second hand

Edited by metalmickey

The neck thru SRX700 (and 5 string version:- SRX705) are brilliant rock basses...

The pickups are characterful, powerful, good EQ; the basses are beautifully built too.

The only weak spot is the tuners.

Like the man said, look out on eBay for a s/h one, around £200 - £250.

So, back to the question... IMHO the pickups are good ;-)

hey guys,

i have got an ibanez SRX500 - was my first bass! i personally feel the pick-ups are indeed great for maybe heavier rock/metal, however having said that i play in a big concert band, and with a nice clean tone from my amp, it fits in fine!

the EQ and pick-up balance on the bass itself changes the tone you get from them so dramaticly, with a bit of messing around for a while, your bound to find the tone you want.

i don't know much about changing the pups but to be honest i really dont think you will need to!

hope this helps at all!