Why become a member? ×

A Decade of Service Rewarded: A 2003 Toby Pro-6 gets major upgrades

basexperience

I'm getting my beloved 6-string Toby Pro-6 (apparently made while Mr Tobias was still with Gibson) - a much travelled monster, having originally come over from the US after purchase.

It's done well:I did an external installation of a GK-3B pickup, on the godawful bracket you can bolt it on with. It's been like that for 5 years or so now - did some great work with the cheesy 80s synths you get out of the GR-20 floor unit.

Having tried out a GR-55, I decided I'd buy one - the modelling sounds are worth it alone, the vintage P-Bass is excellent, and the Rickenbacker is pretty Rush-y :-)

However, this then revealed to me that it was time to get the bass updated and overhauled.Crackling pots (cleaned once too often with servisol) and a still-weedy preamp persuaded me it was time to Frankenbass the beast.

I'm reporting on my blog over at [url="http://www.funkybass.co.uk"]www.funkybass.co.uk[/url] - the work is being done by Julian Mullen via the good guys at BassGear in Twyford. Wish me luck - it's been a real trial getting the Gk-3B-Kit out of Roland, who seemed to go to sleep!

I've told the guys to take pics as the bass will get some new routs out the back for 18V electrics and the MIDI kit needs a lot of room in there. Aguilar OBP-3 makes it sparkle (the stock pups have quite a good sound, just too quiet).