Why become a member? ×

Recording Rehearsals

pqs

There's a couple of ways I can think of doing the job off the top of my head. Assuming the iPad mini is like the iPad (sorry, don't have a mini) you could buy something like a Rode iXY which plugs straight into an Ipad. Apparently they are quite good mics, although I haven't used one. You get a stereo recording.

Another way would be an iTrack from Focusrite plus a microphone. It would only be a mono recording rather than the iXY as the iTrack can record 2 tracks at a time but not in stereo, as one is a mic input and the other an instrument or line input. There is a free app to go with this interface (although it's free to all) search the app store for Focusrite, its icon is like a big old tape recorder. The advantage of an iTrack over the iXY is that you can use the iTrack at home as well as it interfaces with your pc/mac and software such as Audacity (free), reaper (un-crippled demo), and you can plug your bass into the instrument input direct.

I have used the iTrack and it works well, it gets powered from the iPad too. There is a Focusrite iTrack bundle which includes the mic and cable if you don't have a suitable one.

There are other plug in interfaces for the ipad, things like the iRig for example, but I know less about them. There are probably lots of ways of skinning this particular cat, depending on what else you have and your budget. Hope this helps a bit.

cheers

Ralph