Why become a member? ×

German Late 1800s Double Bass. With bows, case, stand pick up etc
£2500

Mr Steve

[b]Double Bass, everything you need to get up and running and a few spares.[/b]

It took me from beginner to post grade 8 as a classical player and has also proved plenty good for gigging with bands.
[attachment=149096:Bass_Stand_Front.jpg]
[attachment=149100:Back of bass.jpg]

Comes with

-2 bows- 1 Ronald Paesold (french style) and one spare.
[attachment=149097:Bows.jpg]

-Contact mic in bridge
-
Strung with Helicore strings- (Hybrids, for bowed classical and jazz.)

-Spare set of Pirastro classical strings (used).

-Blue corduroy soft carry case and strap
[attachment=149101:Stool_stand_rear.jpg]
-JHS black metal folding Double Bass stand

-Folding stool and 
End pin holder

-3 blocks of resin and Mute.

If interested I also have a wooden music stand that looks great with the bass but needs a bit of TLC and a 30W practice amp which saves your fingers a bit of grief if jamming with a drumkit or playing a small pub.

Bass and main bow were just serviced by Bridgewood and Neitzert. I got them to concentrate on making sure the bass was in good working order as a musical instrument rather than the cosmetic side of things, so be aware that one scroll is missing and there are some cosmetic scratches in the varnish on the back panel. See Side profile photo below.
[attachment=149099:Neck.jpg]

Also be aware that I am selling this as a good instrument rather than an authentic antique- I remember being told about the date by somone who serviced it in the past but I cannot verify this. I had a new bridge, ebony finger board and better end pin holder put on in the mid 90s. Contact me if you want more photos or want to try it out. I am based in Walthamstow- East London.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I assume the bass is still for sale and is a 3/4. If I'm wrong, please advise me. My son has got to Grade 6 with a 1/2 local authority bass through the school and it's now not really good enough for further grades and he's outgrowing it. I'd be buying it for him. I'm not a musician but it sounds to me as though you've had the bass for quite a long time and used it to a good level, so you must have been satisfied with it, and it's been properly looked after. I live quite a long way away in North Lincolnshire but would be prepared to come to London to see it. The scroll could be sorted later. I know an excellent woodcarver who could probably make one for a lutier to do the repair. When would it be convenient to come south to see you and how flexible are you on price?

• 3 weeks later...