Why become a member? ×

Volume

AngelLaHash

I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just type what i am thinking to a degree.

The Volume pot is being used as a [size=3][font=opendyslexic]potential [/font][/size]Divider,
Input one side, middle the Output and other side is GROUND.
So that what Voltage is made from the Pickups, from the strings pulling the Magnets via a Copper coil.
As far as I know that the voltage out of these things is dam small
And its not AC to speak of but a frequence range, normally 0-6KHz i think i read some were, but human hearing is 0-20KHz
These are just things I've read Online (so not 100% the Truth)
Is divided between the Two half's of the POT.

So why 250K, why not 50K or like I'm told a good value for Humbuckle Picks up's is 500K.

I know Electronics and Electrical's but i dont normally use a Pickup as a Power Supplie or do circuits with a "AC" circuits.

The pickup and pot also form a voltage divider. The pot is purely resistive so its value is the same at any frequency. The pickup also has a fixed resistance but it's also inductive, so you have to add in its impedance (or AC resistance), which increases with frequency. If you use a low value pot, e.g. 50K, it may be fine for low frequencies but at high frequencies the pot's resistance is low relative to the impedance of the pickup and only a small proportion of the pickup's voltage will appear across the pot.

It's effectively a frequency-dependent voltage divider so the pot's resistance must be high compared to the pickup impedance so as to maintain consistent level across the frequency range.

First off, thanks you for explainging the bigger picture to me Dincz :rolleyes:

So what about the Bleed cap that is put in,
People use 1nF, 1nF with a Resister (220K-120K) and 200pF
That chances the Freq and the Impedance Xc=1/(2*Pi*C*f)

Would it be best to have some Calculation to balance between the Pickups and the Volume pot

Edited by AngelLaHash

My current set up for my P-Bass is 2xHex Switching giving me a Range of 200pF to 100nF in 200pF steps
thats just the tone contol's it also has [url="http://www.impossibleband.com/projets-electroniques/megatone/megatone---archive#TOC-Megatone-36"]http://www.impossibleband.com/projets-electroniques/megatone/megatone---archive#TOC-Megatone-36[/url]

sort of like that but, i have more a range on the Caps and the "Boost" Resister has more 4 ranges 15k, 150K and 1K5 and direct to ground.

So i just need to play around with them to find my area of perfection