Why become a member? ×

Getting the 'right' tone via Bass Pod xt

xmasonmars

Hey - know this is largely subjective but I'm looking for tips from anyone who has some experience using the Bass Podxt for recording.

I'm DIing into my PC via an M-Audio soundcard and using a 5 String Ibanez SGR505 with active pickups.

I've got a nice clear tone but wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations that they found worked well in similar circumstances as I've not had the Pod very long and I'm just getting to grips with the huge variety of settings.

I've read quite a few negative comments about the compressors on the podxt - am I better compressing on the PC? I currently use a waves audio compressor plugin.

Your thoughts....

It is pretty much impossible to answer, given that your bass, your playing style, your strings and your taste will make such a difference. There is also the question of what you are recording - a supporting role for a blues shuffle is going to want a different sound from a solo bass piece with lots of chording, for example.

When I got my Bass Pod, I spent a while using my DL-4 (looper) to repeat various phrases while I fiddled with settings on the Pod. You could set up a similar experiment, even if you just play the same thing a bunch of times, making a note of the settings and then listen back.

Wulf