Why become a member? ×

Ashdown EB 220 - 12 vs Perfect 10

Lotusmark2

If you only play at home and there's no immediate prospect of gigging then my choice would be the Perfect 10.
You have a headphone socket for silent home practice and a line-in with a "Mix" control for a CD or other music source so that you can play along to tracks. It's very definitely a home practice amp-combo. It may also be adequate for coffee bar or restaurant work.

The EB220 doesn't appear to have those facilities, but has adequate power for small gigs in pubs when playing with others. It has a more sophisticated EQ section as well as a D.I for output to a mixing desk, or P.A.

Balcro.

The perfect 10 is far from perfect. I owned one and didn't like it. It was 6 years ago, so can't remember all the issues. I do remember that the CD input wouldn't take the output from my computer without being noisy. I quickly sold it; the person who bought it said it gave him the sound he wanted. Each to one's own.

I use a Marshall MB60 at home and think it very good value for money. (Its CD input isn't noisy...) Unfortunately, now that Marshall have bought Eden, they have discontinued their MB range. There might just be one or two still to sell off in some shops though.