Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRX question...

Faithless

So, there's an opportunity to buy second handed five-string Ibanez SRX505 for about 170 pounds. It's quite a bargain, I think (right? :))..

Buuuuuut.. I got Ibanez SR1005 Prestige one, so, what's I'm interested in - is the sound of SRX's and SR's quite different or not?

Cuz, the second bass I was thinking about to take 'in future', shouldn't have been very similar to the current one... The good thing about having it would be using SRX one with different tuning for my other metal band...

It's said, SRX one is a bit more for rock/metal thingies, but, maybe anyone's here OK with using it for quite a different music?
So, I'd like to get a few words about SRX in 'sounding' and 'universality' way.

And, take some GAS :huh: ... [url="http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/SRX505TK-6b75af832ae2fbdeb22ee05a4c558436.jpg"]Aybaaaneeeez [/url]

Edited by Faithless

i dont own one but from what i have read elsewhere (and i think on here previously) is that the srx sounds more like a ray than the sr, little more harsh due to the two humbuckers rather than soap bars.
it will be a different sound to your current one definately. give one a try if you can though.

Likewise, I've never played one but with the MM style humbuckers, it's going to have much more of a growl to the sound, probably similar to the Stingray or perhaps Bongo bass sound. It'll sound pretty different to the mellow tone of your SR.

I got the impression from another thread that you're a Dream Theater fan - there's a fair chance that the SRX will have a closer sound to John Myung's recent tone than your SR. His Yamaha JM2 signature had an MM style pickup and was intended to emulate the sound of his old Stingray that he used on the first album. He's now using the only Bongo 6s in the world, so is clearly a fan of the MM sound.

Edited by geilerbass

Thanks for thoughts, guys, I'll give SRX a go this or next week, I believe.
And, 170 pounds is OK for used one,right?

P.S. As the Rare-ones, we'd set Ibazzy owners/lovers club, shouldn't we?.. :)

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='219961' date='Jun 16 2008, 04:02 PM']Thanks for thoughts, guys, I'll give SRX a go this or next week, I believe.
And, 170 pounds is OK for used one,right?

P.S. As the Rare-ones, we'd set Ibazzy owners/lovers club, shouldn't we?.. :)[/quote]

sounds like a good price, they go for about £360 new (RRP £399)
i was looking at these before i bought my SR but never tried one, i preferred the shape of the SR. though i am getting the urge for a new bass this could fit the bill nicely. i'll have to go try one now.

i could swear there was an ibanez club on here but that may have been on the old site, nice idea though. count me in

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Faithless' post='220554' date='Jun 17 2008, 01:11 PM']How should we do one? Make a sticky thread about Ibby chicks or make sorta friend-list or whatever exists here?

Btw, tell me, if it's [url="http://stevebaileybass.com/pics/misc/IMG_8568.jpg"]Ibby[/url], guys...[/quote]

not sure about setting up the list
but that pic sure looks like an ibby, headstock and body shape and 5 piece neck though it would be a custom build i would imagine as i've never seen a fretless soundgear.

Checked out Aria's site - couldn't find a damn model, similar to this...
It looks like one of those new, 20th Anniversary SR Ibbies, like Geiler has, just with a bit less Eq knobs :)

One more, I've[url="http://stevebaileybass.com/pics/misc/bnc0509/IMG_1279.jpg"] found[/url] out there...

Edited by Faithless

i recently bought an srx700 after coveting one for quite some time.

i am very happy with it, very big output but it can also be tamed.

the neck is taking some getting used to as my other bass is an ATK which is a lot thicker.

i say go for it.

[quote name='Faithless' post='220665' date='Jun 17 2008, 03:32 PM']Checked out Aria's site - couldn't find a damn model, similar to this...
It looks like one of those new, 20th Anniversary SR Ibbies, like Geiler has, just with a bit less Eq knobs :)

One more, I've[url="http://stevebaileybass.com/pics/misc/bnc0509/IMG_1279.jpg"] found[/url] out there...[/quote]

just a shame you cant see the headstock as that would help.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='220680' date='Jun 17 2008, 03:46 PM']just a shame you cant see the headstock as that would help.[/quote]

It's the same shape as mine, but the body wood is different (doesn't look like Mahogany), the bridge is like one of the newer BTB ones not the monorail that you get on the SRs and it appears to have a maple/bubinga neck, which is similar to the SR1000 range.

If it is an Ibanez, it's definitely a custom shop job, though I didn't think that existed anymore?

And what the hell is going on with his hat!?

Edited by geilerbass

Gotcha!!!!!

taken from bassplayer.com ......

(Not that long he dropped us his new record, called "So Low"), sooo, gear, used there, was.... :

...[i]
Basses on So Low … Solo Fender SRB 6, Aria AVB-SB 6, [b]Ibanez custom SDGR 6[/b][/i] ...

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='220709' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:15 PM']Gotcha!!!!!

taken from bassplayer.com ......

(Not that long he dropped us his new record, called "So Low"), sooo, gear, used there, was.... :

...[i]
Basses on So Low … Solo Fender SRB 6, Aria AVB-SB 6, [b]Ibanez custom SDGR 6[/b][/i] ...[/quote]

cool, couldn't see any reference to him on the ibanez site though, which you would have thought they would.

its an ibanez.

on bass player magazines site, [url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/steve-bailey/mar-08/33837"]this[/url] page, go right to the bottom. under gear it says Fender SRB 6, Aria AVB-SB 6, [u][i][b]Ibanez custom SDGR 6[/b][/i][/u], all recorded through a Radial J48 Active DI into Tube-Tech MP1a or Avalon VT-737SP mic preamps, into Pro Tools HD2 (at 24-bit/96kHz).