Why become a member? ×

Audere impedence switch......is there another way??.

voxpop

I like the idea of the Audere preamps that shape the tone when using the three position switch in passive mode. Does anyone know if you can get the same effect ( impedance switch ) from an out board effect unit.
I do not want the standard bass, mid, treble type EQ, Just a way to change the impedence to produce the same effect as the Audere

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks.

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='voxpop' post='218448' date='Jun 13 2008, 05:01 PM']I like the idea of the Audere preamps that shape the tone when using the three position switch in passive mode. Does anyone know if you can get the same effect ( impedance switch ) from an out board effect unit.
I do not want the standard bass, mid, treble type EQ, Just a way to change the impedence to produce the same effect as the Audere

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks.[/quote]

AFAIK, the switch changes the impedance that the picks see.

I tried to design a circuit that does the same thing using an inductance and a resistor to simulate the pickup. It just a quick draft but I run it through a software simulator and it works.

I hope you will find it usefull.

Edited by Silent Fly

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='218665' date='Jun 14 2008, 12:49 AM']AFAIK, the switch changes the impedance that the picks see.

I tried to design a circuit that does the same thing using an inductance and a resistor to simulate the pickup. It just a quick draft but I run it through a software simulator and it works.

I hope you will find it usefull.[/quote]

Many thanks Silent Fly, I might give it a go, or mount an Audere in a box.

Thanks guys.

[quote name='voxpop' post='218699' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:38 AM']Many thanks Silent Fly, I might give it a go, or mount an Audere in a box.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

I though a little bit more about what you are trying to achieve and putting the Audere in a box might not be right solution for you. There are a few other things you may want to consider.

[i]What follows is based on my understanding of how the Audere preamp works. I could be completely wrong of course.[/i]

When you move the load switch, the Audere on-board preamp loads the pickup with an extra load (probably a resistor). This works only with passive pickups. If you install the Audere in a bass with active pickups (e.g. EMGs), the load is applied to pickup's preamp not the pickups coil. As a result, the switch produces no o very little effect.

To work, the Audere-in-a-box [i]should[/i] to be first in your effect chain and only connected to passive basses. In practice things are slightly more complicated.

I don't know the Audere's circuit but I think the load is applied just after the pickups and before the volume/pan control. If this is the case, even if the Audere-in-a-box is connected to a passive bass, it might not work as expected. The reason is that in the Audere-in-a-box, the load is connected [i]after[/i] the volume controls of the bass and not [i]before[/i] like in the on-board Audere installation.

You have a few other ways to achieve the Audere pickup-load effect:

- Install the Audere on a bass with passive pickups :)
- Use some clever EQ
- Install a switch that applies a load to passive pickups.
- Develop a circuit that simulates a pickup with a load (similar to the circuit I posted above).
- Design a filter that produces a frequency response similar to the loaded pickup.

I hope this help