Why become a member? ×

Fixed Thumb Technique

mikekaperys

Recently I've been trying to change my right-hand technique and it's proving to be a right headache!

Previously, I'd been playing floating thumb and moving my whole hand up and down the strings as I changed the string I was playing - since I'd always been playing a 6 string it was the easiest way I found to play at speed (with my ramp, anyway). Now I'm hardly playing 6ers, I'm back onto my jazz bass and I've found that technique produces very inconsistent notes and its very hard to incorporate dynamics.
As well as this, 90% of the players that inspire me all play fixed thumb, so there must be some reason behind it!

So my question is, does anyone have any tips for me at all? I'm finding it really hard to adjust, it's like learning to play bass all over again!
Do I just stick at scales with a metronome or try and go straight into songs? Are there any specific exercises that will help?

Thanks in advance,

Mike :)

[quote name='mikekaperys' timestamp='1376063233' post='2169247']
Previously, I'd been playing floating thumb and moving my whole hand up and down the strings as I changed the string I was playing - since I'd always been playing a 6 string it was the easiest way I found to play at speed (with my ramp, anyway). Now I'm hardly playing 6ers, I'm back onto my jazz bass and I've found that technique produces very inconsistent notes and its very hard to incorporate dynamics.
[/quote]

Really? I'm surprised as I find the opposite to be true - i.e. floating thumb gives me consistent sounding notes across all strings as it enables me to pluck each string in exactly the same way, using the exact same part of my fingertip, due to the fact that my hand stays in the same shape. Is the struggle more with the loss of ramp perhaps, so you have begun 'digging in' more?

[quote name='Stickman' timestamp='1376066910' post='2169336']
Really? I'm surprised as I find the opposite to be true - i.e. floating thumb gives me consistent sounding notes across all strings as it enables me to pluck each string in exactly the same way, using the exact same part of my fingertip, due to the fact that my hand stays in the same shape.
[/quote]
I second that.
[quote name='mikekaperys' timestamp='1376067696' post='2169352']
I'm really quite a heavy-handed player...
[/quote]
...and I'm not! Could that be it?