Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass??

Mr Fretbuzz

Tell me about acoustic bass please guys. eg Why would you want to get one? Can you get a double bass sound out of one? What kind of music would it be good for? ..what are the good points and bad points ? Looks like you can't adjust for intonation? I know nothing about them :ph34r:

I'm thinking perhaps it would be good for practice just to pick it up unplugged ; plugged I might be able to get a double bass sound out of it ; maybe it would be good for Country and Folk or something, possibly Blues??

Any recommendations in the £300 area?

Know anything about the Fender Hot Rod T-Bucket Bass E 3TSB ? Can't find a utube on it.

Key facts:
1) they are very quiet unamplified - a single acoustic guitar will drown one out
2) they give quite a different amplified sound to any solidbody (that I have come across, at least). Not exactly double bass, just different.
3) they give quite a distinctive look, so expect lots of comments
4) no, you generally can't adjust intonation that much, like thousands of acoustic guitars, and people seem to cope with that. But it means you're relying on the factory doing a fair job of the intonation, which is a reason to avoid the cheapest ones.
5) they used to be quoted as good for practice, because they can be harder to play, and highlight noisy technique. But I've not heard anybody argue that for a while. I think most would agree now that if you want to play well on a precision bass, say, then practice on a precision bass.

I don't know anything in the £300 range, but if I weren't just about to go on holiday I'd suggest you come and visit me in Swansea to have a go on my acoustic to see what you make of it.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1376056214' post='2169118']
Thanks Mart. I'm on crutches for the next 4 weeks at least anyway and just missed the South Wales Bass players thing last week :( Got a lot of time on my hands over the next weeks so I'll be practising and internet shopping :D
[/quote]
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Well, if you're still curious in a couple of weeks time, drop me a PM and we'll get together. I could probably even get myself over to P'Talbot, although I've heard there are dragons over there. We can see the smoke from here, mun! ;)