Why become a member? ×

Dead dull sounding bass

Just had my old 1/4 size bass fitted with new sound post and tailpiece shortened as I need a back up bass after selling my old back up bass. I haven't been playing my 1/4 that often as I noticed about 6months ago it had been sounding a bit lifeless and thuddy as opposed to its normally sweet sound. Strings weren't that old so had my guy look at it and he suggested new sound post and tail piece shorten but when bass come back it sounded exactly the same, lifeless and thuddy,especially over G. Could it be because I haven't been playing it that often that the wood has kinda went to sleep so to speak because of no vibration. I know that with new acoustic guitars I own that were needed played in, I battered them everyday (play-wise) and stuck them in front of a speaker for weeks. This definitely helped now those guitars sing like a bird. My friend also has a gismo which clips on instruments and emits vibrations through the body of instruments, might ask for a loan to see if I can wake this old boy up again.

Any thoughts hints help would be appreciated.

Ceilidhswinger

Edited by ceilidhswinger