Why become a member? ×

Todd Rundgren - Not seen him mentioned on here much :(

xilddx

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1374343289' post='2147888']
Hermit of Mink Hollow = genius. Much of the rest = overproduced dross.

IMO of course!
[/quote]

Despite some differences with the band, he did a fine job producing XTC's 'Skylarking'.

With the distance of time,I believe even Andy Partidge has come round to liking it.

The first time I was aware of him was after I bought a copy of The New Seekers' album 'Circles' (it had a fascinating folding circular cover) for a few pennies at a jumble when I was about ten or so, circa 1977.

On it, there was a cover version of Todd's 'I Saw The Light', and I remember taking particular note of his name as the writer. It might have been the beginning of my being a bit obsessive about reading LP liner notes in later years...

Anyhow, here's Todd's version; a cracking pop song.

http://youtu.be/WxB4weCzqGE

Listening to it 30+ years later, it sounds to me like it could almost have been written by Carole King, which is praise indeed (weirdly the vocal also sounds rather like her :))

Edited by cybertect

Also at the Zeppelin gig in 79 but can't remember much these days apart from Chas and Dave opening it and falling asleep in my Austin Maxi at the service station on the way back as we were so tired after a very long day.

From memory I believe he also had a huge input in to Bat out of Hell playing guitar and producing etc.