Why become a member? ×

Question: Is it the pre-amp valve going off?

JPJ

As some on here will know, I own what is probably the heaviest amp known to man but despite my advancing years and failing back, I cannot find anything lighter that provides the sheer depth of this thing - my beloved SWR SM1500.

However, on the last couple of gigs, I've noticed that the mid range seems to ebb and flow over the course of the gig. To explain, I start off with a nice bit of mid grind in the tone and at certain times this seems, to me at least, to disappear to be replaced by a lot more bottom end. I've emailed SWR's helpful customer services (3 times, no reply) so I'm putting it out to you guys for your help and guidance. Could this be a sign that the pre amp valve is reaching the end of its natural life?

Back in the days of my slightly lighter SWR750X I upgraded the stock GT12AX7 valve to an EH5751on the advice of a Basschat user who published a really in depth comparison of preamp valves on here (sorry I cant remember who it was :blush: ). The change on that occasion gave me a bit more mid-dirt (which I liked). Do you think its worth doing the same thing with the SM1500 or should I just replace like-for-like?

Help, advice and guidance will be greatly received B)

Edited by JPJ