Why become a member? ×

Bridge mounting screws on vintage P bass

Drakers

Hi everyone, I am new to basschat and I am keen to "chew the fat" with anyone re: tech info.
I have a 1991 MIJ vintage Fender P bass. When I got the bass the bridge was totally seized up and would not adjust or intonate.
When I came to remove it one of the five screws that hold it to the body was snapped.
I have made the repair but cannot source a replacement screw of the correct size.
I had some Fender screws sent from New Jersey USA - too small, then I had some sent from Germany - again too small. Fender say these are correct but not for my model, what is going on?
Does anyone know anything about this problem -can anyone help?
thanks
Drakers

Can you post a pic of the screw your trying to replace alongside the Fender ones with a ruler (millimetres) for scale? MIJ hardware is usually metric whereas MIA Fender is imperial so that might be part of the problem.

Hi Ikay, attached are photos of the bridge mounting screws that you asked me to post. If you recall I was asking for help sourcing them. They are for a Fender Japan vintage P bass 1991. Thanks Drakers[attachment=139208:04_P_Bass_screws.jpg][attachment=139209:05_P_Bass_screws.jpg]

Hi Drakers,

The correct Fender (USA) bridge screw is a #5 x 1" which is consistent with the replacement screw in your pic. I've also checked this against the screws for a spare Fender bridge that I've got.

The MIJ screw for some reason looks to be the next size up (#6) but is slightly shorter than 1" which is a bit odd. If you definitely only want to replace one screw then my best guess for the screw spec that you need is #6 x 1" oval countersunk phillips head.

Finding these screws won't be easy though (I've had a quick look) and if you do they almost certainly won't be an exact match for the original screws. They'll be from a different supplier and there.are usually small variations in how the oval head and phillips slot look.

My advice would be the same as grissle above - replace all five - either with new #6 x 1" (if you can find them) or with the Fender replacements. If the hole is slightly oversized for the Fender screws then just use a trimmed down cocktail stick or something similar to make it a tighter fit. That will work fine.

If you want to check the screw sizes for yourself then this chart will help - http://hingedummy.info/screwinfopage2.htm

Good luck!