Why become a member? ×

Power amp/cab combinations

Finbar

So following on from the last thread I made, I've decided to go down the pre/power route for my new rig. Now I think I've finally wrapped my head around bridging etc (justabout! I'm an electronics nub for sure), I figured it is time to look at what choices are open to me for it.

I've already taken the plunge on a preamp already, so I really only need to look at a good combination of power amp and cab.

For the power amp, I've looked at the QSC line, and the Crown line mostly. From what I can see, they're generally well thought of and affordable. I'm not too bothered abuot fan noise, as this isn't a home rig, and if the fan can be heard over a full band playing loud noisy rock, then there is something wrong with it I think!

Main contenders are the QSC PLX2 1802 and the Crown XTi 1000. The Crown is absolute favourite on price, though the QSC pumps out a monstrous 1800W when it is bridged into 4 ohms. The question is whether I need the extra 400W that that gives me over the Crown. Because on paper, the Crown is a good couple hundred quid cheaper. If there are any other good options, I'd be interested to hear them :) Dood's Powersoft looks interesting, but it is very expensive in the context of my budget, and the power rating does look very high for my needs (see below).

My other main point is a cab. I was looking at the Schroeder 1212L as a lightweight companion for the new amp, and I can afford it. It has 800W power handling at 4 ohms though, so would the 1400/1800W of those two power amps be a bit much for it? Though I've heard conflicting views on whether the cab should be able to handle more, MUCH more or less than the head is capable of giving it. Useful, hah. Also, does anyone know how it handles a bit of distortion? I've found that some cabs absolutely HATE being driven just by valves, let alone a distortion pedal. This is a pretty integral sound for me, so it is an important point. I've found that tweeters seem to be the main culprit, though I'm sure the one on the 1212L can be turned off? Again, are there any other similarly priced/sized lightweight cab options (I do like my 12s) that will handle the distortion nicely, as well as put up with the power from the power amp?

I've realistically got about £1100 to spend between them I think.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've got a [url="http://www.crestaudio.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/319/item/116225/number/CFA-CA9-AB/CA9.cfm"]Crest CA9[/url] I'll be looking to get rid of very soon, will be looking for about £400 for it. Nottswarwick has already expressed an interest in it but I thought I'd give you a heads-up in case he doesn't go for it.

Hey, I'll keep it in mind :) Pretty heavy compared to the rest of them though (lightweight is good as far as I'm concerned), and even more high powered still! :huh: Good deal though, for sure.

My main concern is matching a good speaker cab and power amp though, so once I know what cab I think I want to buy and what kind of power it can realistically take going into it, I can make a more informed choice on the poweramp :huh: