Why become a member? ×

P Pickup replacement / wiring?

bisonkills

Hey guys,

About to fit some Wizard pickups. Perhaps a silly question, but is there a correct placement for the two halves of the P pickup, i.e. does one half have to be top (near the E) / bottom (near the D), or are they exactly the same and interchangeable?

I am guessing the half with the hot connection (positive) should be at the top (closer to the E), and the ground at the bottom?

Edited by bisonkills

Would it actually make any difference which way? What did you decide and why?

I have a similar quandry in that I have a USA Fender S1 P-Bass and I am struggling to get decent output form the G string
I've lowered the E/A side and raised the G as high as it will go and dropped the D side slightly .... I aslo swapped
the two halves over as I was convince that one half was slightly more powerful than the other !

Anyhoo any comments or advice appreciated ta

I tend to fit the segment that has more wire on the D-G side and the coil with less wire on the E-A side to balance tonally. The E string needs more clarity due to its greater diameter and the pickup segment being closer to the neck. Having lesser wire on the coil helps with that. Conversely, the G string needs more body of tone because of its lesser diameter and the pickup segment being closer to the bridge, and having more wire on the coil can help with that, also.

Edited by iiipopes