Why become a member? ×

Different brand of strings change output volume?

SimonH

Might be a daft question, but if I've got an active bass with an output that's nowhere near as punchy as my passive bass, could part of the reason be the brand of strings I've fitted? Both basses have roundwounds, but could a different brand - say, DRs vs Rotosounds or whatever. Would that make a difference? A big difference?

PS don't ask me to swap them over!

Okay, swap them over...

And quite like the Different Strings ref.

A lot of different variables determine output, especially on an active bass. In addition to the strings, which can make a difference due to different alloys having different magnetic properties, the pickups themselves may have different magnets and windings, the setup of the pickups in relation to the strings is different, and the gain structure of the preamp is different, along with the condition of the battery, and probably more variables that don't come to mind right now. Unless a bass player is always out to overdrive the front end of an amplifier, then any moderate output should be alright.