Why become a member? ×

GK Neo 115 II with GK 700rb II

JHasted1992

Hi there,

I have two questions to ask. I have recently purchased a GK 700rb II secondhand and when I used it at first it was working fine. We went to practice I put the head on a cab (Trace Elliott) which is there and then the amp decided to keep cutting out. We had no idea what was wrong, my friends were trying and struggling to make it work, but the sound would randomly keep coming back. We then decided to put the jack into the effects return and it started playing perfectly with a great sound, we then moved it back to the input and it seemed to work fine. Has anybody got a clue why it may have been doing this. The guy I bought it off said that it was brand new and it hadn't been used. When I have time off work I'm going to take it digital village to see what is wrong.

Now the next question is...will the GK Neo 115 be loud enough by itself or not? If not what would you advice to get for the head within a sensible price range (£400 or lower)

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Edited by JHasted1992

Not sure about your particular amp, but many amps which have serial effects loops have a switching jack arrangement that bypasses the FX loop in/out sockets when a jack plug is not plugged into them. This can cause the syptoms you describe if certain contacts there gets a bit of oxidation (corrosion) on them. The amp can then act as though you have stuff connected in your FX loop when, in fact, you have not. This causes typical cuting in and out symptoms.

The cure is usually to put a jack in and out a few times in the FX loop jacks, which just cleans the contacts again making the whole system work properly.
You seem to have unwittingly done this anyway, thus curing your problem. If I were you I would put a jack in/out a few more times in your FX loop in and out sockets, to try and clean those contacts again. Then see if your symptoms return. You may well have sorted it out. It's actually quite a common problem.

Oh, for cabs, I'd try and stretch to a GK neo 2x12 if you can, as it will handle rather more than the 1x15 without farting out, and also be louder. Have a good look around the used market for cabs though. You get a lot for your money and used cabs are much less likely to have issues than used amps IME.

Edited by hamfist

Yes to all of the above but also to say that I'd just shove a jumper lead between the FX in and out jacks permanently.
My old GK 400rb did exactly the same and the jumper lead in the loop has sorted the problem for cost of a few quid; a very common problem and according to our local amp tech many other brands have the same issue.
It's always the first thing I go to with cutting out problems.