Why become a member? ×

Bartolini MM pup switch wiring

Tricycle

Help a newbie out! - i'm doing my first full bass build from scratch (thread in build diaries to follow soonish!) and i'm struggling with the wiring a bit.

I'm trying to wire in a single MM bartolini pickup with a telecaster style 3-way switch for Single/Split/Parallel and a volume and tone. I've pulled out the seymour duncan wiring diagrams and i think i've followed them correctly but when i've got the 3 way switch in series or split position i seem to get some noise out, but when i've got it in a the parallel there is total silence! I also can't sell the difference between noises for the series/ split so this may not be working right either.

Essentially i am using the 'grey wire from preamp' in the switch diagram as the black wire in the pots diagram and the 'to ground' wire on the switch diagram grounded on the volume pot.

I may have got this completely and am trying to do something ridiculous- its my first go at wiring so be kind! Any thoughts/ help would be greatly appreciated.

The two diagrams i am using are:

and

I have NEVER used a 3Way Guitar Switch, to me it looks like a 2P3T switch with all them connectors
<i dont like matching colours, need to know what is top and bottem etc>
<use a Resistance Test Meter/Continuity to find out what links to what>

--Colours--
Black i would guess is the TOP Picks + side
and White is its other end
meaning Red for the other Pickup
and Green for its other end

Black to the POTS,
White to one of the Switches Common
Red to the other Common
and then Green to GROUND

On the WHITE side, link two to Ground
and the 3rd one to the 3rd link on the other side of the switch
Then on the RED side of the Switch, link the Middle Pin to th POTS
If you want you can link the FREE leg to GROUND too. Edited by AngelLaHash

Thanks very much for your help AngelLaHash.

I think i'll need to study your instructions in the morning when i've had a couple less beers (probably not a good idea to whip out the soldering iron either!) but i already think what you've written might make a little more sense. Did a quick mark up so i get the idea- is this correct? Is there any need for a resistor anywhere too?

[b]I dont understand what the Resister is doing: Hope that someone else can explain that [/b]

[i]I am sorry i Suck on Explaining things[/i], the Diagram of the PIN Layout isnt much good to me, as Ive never worked with a 3Way
(Just Strat 5Way and i tend to Number them 1-8, 4/5 the outputs)
To me with all them PINS, i think it asks as 2P3T (3 different Pins to Select from and two lots of Switches built in to on)
(with a Strat you have 1 Pin and then the 2Pin is MIXED)

I Would suggest, finding out what each leg connects up to on Each Stage and work out if its is a 2P3T Switch
If it is, then the way i suggest will give you Top Pickup, Both Pickups, and Humbuckle
<Sorry for taking 2 days to get back to you, i was working on a Tone Switch not to be beaten>

Best way to Check a Pickup when Wired, slapping it with bit LUMP of Metal, you hear a Clunk sound

Edited by AngelLaHash