Why become a member? ×

Order of the chain!

pazsunday

Hi there,

I have just bought a few new pedals and need some advice! What order would you suggest I arrange my pedals?

Tuner
Compressor
Little Big Muff
Russian Big Muff
Bass Balls
Digitec Bass Synth
Boss SYB-5
Boss Octive
Boss Chorus
Holy Grail
Lovetone Meatball
Boss bass overdrive

Cheers!

A "few new pedals" ?? That's quite a collection.

There's no hard and fast rule for pedal placement. First though - do you need them all at the same time ? That's quite a few overdrive/distortion FX you have there. Do you need them all in the same chain ? If not, remove those that you won't use.

Next, work out which pedals will be switched on simultaneously. If you only ever have one pedal on at a time then it doesn't really matter what order they are in. If you will have two (or more) swiitch on at the same time then take these pedals out and create a "mini-chain" using these ones only. Experiment with the pedal placement in this mini-chain to see how the pedals interact with each other. Find out which order YOU like best.

Maybe put the tuner first - that way you can always tune even if you forget to turn off another pedal (tuning with a deep chorus effect on might be difficult).

It's often commin to out the compressor next (unless you're using it as an overall limiter, in which case it would go last).

After that it's whatever sounds best to your ears (bearing in mind the comment about which ones are switched on simultaneously).

Finally, if you're intending to use this pedal chain live, then try to keep it simple as possible - take out any pedals you won't use.

[quote name='BOD2' post='209488' date='May 30 2008, 11:05 AM']A "few new pedals" ?? That's quite a collection.

There's no hard and fast rule for pedal placement. First though - do you need them all at the same time ? That's quite a few overdrive/distortion FX you have there. Do you need them all in the same chain ? If not, remove those that you won't use.

Next, work out which pedals will be switched on simultaneously. If you only ever have one pedal on at a time then it doesn't really matter what order they are in. If you will have two (or more) swiitch on at the same time then take these pedals out and create a "mini-chain" using these ones only. Experiment with the pedal placement in this mini-chain to see how the pedals interact with each other. Find out which order YOU like best.

Maybe put the tuner first - that way you can always tune even if you forget to turn off another pedal (tuning with a deep chorus effect on might be difficult).

It's often commin to out the compressor next (unless you're using it as an overall limiter, in which case it would go last).

After that it's whatever sounds best to your ears (bearing in mind the comment about which ones are switched on simultaneously).

Finally, if you're intending to use this pedal chain live, then try to keep it simple as possible - take out any pedals you won't use.[/quote]

Thanks!

The only new ones are the Boss OD and the meatball!

I'm going to have a little play around with the chain, but if you had to put them in order (I use mainly fuzz + Synth/Chorus at the same time) What woudl it be?

Cheers

Ohh, does anyone know where i can get a Bass Bigg Muff from?

TBH I've not used most of these pedals so I don't know exactly what sounds they'll give you - plus I don't know what sounds you're looking for.

in your case, the main point to bear in mind is probably the placement of the fuzz. A fuzz sound with chorus added afterwards will be different from a chrous sound with fuzz added afterwards. That's the point I was making about putting a few pedals in a "mini-chain". Which of the two sounds you prefer will depend on what you like to hear.

[quote name='BOD2' post='209506' date='May 30 2008, 11:27 AM']TBH I've not used most of these pedals so I don't know exactly what sounds they'll give you - plus I don't know what sounds you're looking for.

in your case, the main point to bear in mind is probably the placement of the fuzz. A fuzz sound with chorus added afterwards will be different from a chrous sound with fuzz added afterwards. That's the point I was making about putting a few pedals in a "mini-chain". Which of the two sounds you prefer will depend on what you like to hear.[/quote]

Ok cool,

Thanks for the advice.

Having said use your own ears, my experience tells me I'd probably set them up like this:

bass - >
Tuner
Digitec Bass Synth
Little Big Muff
Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5
Bass Balls
Boss Chorus
Holy Grail
Compressor
Boss Octive
Lovetone Meatball -> loop [Boss bass overdrive]
<-amp

If those were my pedals I'd sell the Russian Big Muff the Boss SYB-5 and the ODB-3 because they're a bit redundant, IMO.