Why become a member? ×

amp pop on power up

Steve G

I just picked up a Park gb 15-10 combi amp. Not bad for what it is, and it was essentially free.

However, with everything turned up to max it doesn't make much volume. I realise this is a little (old) amp but compared to my other amp (name escapes me), which is smaller, it has far less volume.

It has likely been laid up for a while and when I switch the power on I get a massive pop from it. Also the knobs don't seem to have a massive effect. Is this likely just dusty pots or something more fundemental. The speaker cone looks pretty good and the sound is pretty good, just not loud.

I realise it's hard to distance diagnose these things, assuming something is even wrong, but any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, developments on this are that the pop is still there but I do know why there was limited volume. The cable believe it or not.

The Park came with one of those curly cables which I thought was good as it saved me faffing about with my lead off the other amp (Park is left at work, Kustom at home) so just left it paired with the Park. Tried my original lead with the Park and all is well. Volume levels are back to what I would have expected and all sounds good. Still dusty pots I think but otherwise happy.

Dusty pots will generally give you a 'crackle' as you turn them.

Given the potential age of the amp, I'd suspect that the mains switch has either worn or has tarnished contacts.

Some of those old amps also used to have a capacitor strapped across the back of them as a crude 'thud' suppressor - it could be that.