Why become a member? ×

Bassbalseriet Studio II and Schertler Stat-B Vintage Pickups

bassadder

Hi Guys

I thought I would share the photo's of these pickups now they are fitted on my bass as they aren't very common on this forum.

I've used the Bassbalseriet Studio II a lot it's an very interesting pickup as it has a pre-amp in the XLR that needs to be phantom powered. The pickup itself sounds pretty good and believe it or not can actually be tuned in the hole by using a sort of darning needle which you insert in to the hole and turn the brass part of the pickup which alters the sound. It's a rather hot pickup and when I had it fitted it was fine with my Acoustic Image Ten2 but I now use my old Coda R (not many gigs these days) and had to get an -10db in line attenuator which really helps with over loading the pre-amp and 5" driver. Sound very good recorded too.

The Schertler Stat-B Vintage is a pickup I always wanted to try as it's a copy of the original one Charlie Haden and Barry Guy use. I've only just had it fitted and this needs the Schertler pre-amp again to use it my version is the older Acoustic Pre-amp which I like they now have something called a Yellow Blender available in 1 and 2 channel apparently Chris Lawrence the excellent UK bassist now uses. I haven't had a chance to gig it yet but it sounds good through my Coda R. You can use the Stat-B Vinatge direct in to the new Schertler La Faro double bass combo, which I happen to have here at Overwater Basses/Acoustic Image Europe on demo.

Incidentally if anyone is interested in trying any of this stuff let me know and you can try pickups on my bass here at the workshop.

Cheers

Laurence

Edited by bassadder