Why become a member? ×

SYB-3 - a winner for envelope filter ?

BigBeatNut

Was having great fun with this little setup the other night.

Envelope Filters have always been a problem for me, my preferred string for normal use (an old set of flats) doesn't have a broad enough frequency spectrum for a filter to bite on, and I've gone through a few filters trying to find one that will do the job.

Last night I discovered a pedal I've had for a few years appears to be perfect for the job: The SYB-3 (on program 10). Always used it on the synth settings before. It seems to have enough tweakabilty of the right sort to get something out of my strings. The only other thing that comes close that I've found is the Proton. Tried a meat wad and couldn't get on with it at all, couldn't find suitable settings on the Enigma Q-balls, the AW-3 is really not tweakable for Q at all, and the Bassballs (okay, not really an env filter) is either too subtle, with fuzz off, or with fuzz on, just delivers that unique bass-balls sound and nothing else.

I can't believe I've found the most tweakable EF in this multi-purpose, non-boutique, pedal.

Oh, and the AW-3 is a lot of fun with the expression pedal tweaked for 'Humaniser' sounds 'O' -> 'I' :)