Why become a member? ×

12AX7/ECC83 Circuit

AngelLaHash

The Question is, any way of making a Circuit that can sit in a ECC83 socket to replace to tube.
before i hear any crying, if im going to kill any thing a Circuit that i could easy repair and change would be better till i know the device using the 12AX7 is working correctly, also think it would be good as a back up, Tubes dont grow on trees, unlike money in a round about way.

You're saying you want to put something in the tube socket which replaces the tube with a transistor?

A quick google does throw up a SS 12AX7 replacement called the retrovalve:

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/retrovalves/

But inside that there's likely to be way more than just a transistor and a socket adaptor, and they cost far more than a cheap 12AX7

IMO you're much better of just getting a few cheap/used 12AX7s, or even better measure all the voltages on the tube sockets before putting the tubes in to ensure nothing will go pop (disclaimer don't do this unless you know what you're doing)

The other thing to consider is that typically tubes/valves are *way* more tolerant of (short-term) abuse than most solid state devices - put the wrong voltage on a transistor and it'll be destroyed in milliseconds, whereas a tube may endure problems like incorrect bias or excessive voltages for quite a while before finally failing.