Why become a member? ×

'EAR TRAINING' - With SCOTTSBASSLESSONS

devinebass

Hey guys, I've just put a [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/bass-tip-2-ear-training"]brand new video lesson[/url] together for you!

In this lesson I'm covering some great ear training techniques that you can use without your bass. These are fantastic for when you're in the car, train, bike, subway etc... so essentially you can practice when you're not even at home!

Here it is >>> [url="http://scottsbasslessons.com/bass-tip-2-ear-training"]BRAND NEW VIDEO LESSON[/url]

Over and out,

Scott ;)

PS. There's also an awesome FREE backing track that comes with the tutorial too!

I was going to ask a question which would be relevent to this but I'll post it on here for some help

regarding ear training, recently I was talking to a friend and whilst he was playing i heard a lick that I liked and said 'oh wow, how do you manage to play those cool licks that you have in you head?' He replied with 'i know my instrument inside out, i know exactly wha will sound where etc'

getting to this level I am sure ear training has some value. Anyone know of an excercise to develop knowing your instrument or is it endless hours of experimentation?
i hope i worded this correctly and the easiest to understand :)

Hi there, as Scott mentions being able to recognise intervals and what notes sound good together is an excellent place to start.
Try playing happy birthday, the intro to your favourite TV programme or even commercials, you'll soon start to notice how often certain intervals crop up time after time, when you can play little tunes in one position move them around to different strings and different positions on the neck.
Find how many ways you can play a CMajor scale, hum or sing a tune then find the notes on the bass, with your ears and fingers working together you'll soon be able to noodle around like your mate. Hope this helps and best of luck :)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1364565094' post='2028240']
I was going to ask a question which would be relevent to this but I'll post it on here for some help

regarding ear training, recently I was talking to a friend and whilst he was playing i heard a lick that I liked and said 'oh wow, how do you manage to play those cool licks that you have in you head?' He replied with 'i know my instrument inside out, i know exactly wha will sound where etc'

getting to this level I am sure ear training has some value. Anyone know of an excercise to develop knowing your instrument or is it endless hours of experimentation?
i hope i worded this correctly and the easiest to understand :)
[/quote]

Some people naturally develop a good ear just by noodling around, others require more structured study. The fact that you felt moved to ask the question probably means you fall into the latter camp (as I do). This being the case I suggest Bruce Arnolds "one note" series as a good starting point.