Why become a member? ×

Pedal compressors help.

ChickenKiev

Okay so I'm wanting to build MY sound for a band I've just joined and so I'm starting to get a checklist together for which pedals that I would like to include in my rig.

The band is hardcore/metalcore, so naturally my checklist includes some different overdrive and distortion pedals, a preamp and a tuner. One thing I'm missing is a compressor.

This leads me to my two questions. The sound of distortion/overdrive I'm going for is a grinding-clanky sound that could really cut and have presence between two downtuned metal guitars as supposed to a 'sludgy' distortion that would just bog everything down into arseness. I'm a little worried that adding a compressor to my rig would flatten everything and turn my gorgeous sound into a lifeless mess. Can anybody set me straight on that? Would adding a compressor kill my dynamic, clanky distortion?

My second question is if adding a compressor is a good idea, can anyone recommend one?

Any feedback would be amazeballs.

Kiev.

Oh, it's also worth a mention that I'll be playing using a pick, using heavy gauge stainless steel strings and a brass nut for some yummy open string goodness during the heavy parts.

Edited by ChickenKiev

If I was aiming to run a similar setup I'd want to use a compressor subtly at the beginning of my signal chain just to even out the clean bass sound so that what goes into the dirt pedals sounds a bit tighter, but plenty of people opt for doing this the other way round with putting the compressor at the end of the signal chain - it really depends what sounds 'best' though.

In the past I've found with down-tuning that the lowest string sometimes sounds a bit lifeless (especially if the tension is noticeably lower than the other strings), and a compressor has helped to sort this out a bit. Your best bet is to try out a compression pedal with your setup once you've got all the stuff you need, you'll soon realise whether you want one in there or not.

Also, you say you're looking for a grinding-clanky sound... Check out the Tronographic Rusty Box :)