Why become a member? ×

PJ pup question

Grangur

Hi All,
This is, I'm sure a stoopid question that anyone on here, except me, can answer....

I've got a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 with a P-J config... see avatar.

When I turn the blend to the front, "P" pickups the sound is strong and cool. When I turn the blend to the back, "J" pup the sound is definitely quieter. Is this normal?

I can understand that the "P" pup has 2 parts and so there may be more sensitivity to it; and so louder, but I'd expect this to be sorted in the electronics.

BTW I know the J pup is working, cos if I switch to it and touch a metal item to it, it does "pop" as I'd expect it to.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Edited by Grangur

Yes. There is a wider coil on segment of the P pickup, so it picks up more of the wider string excursion over the P pickup, hence more output. There is less string excursion near the bridge, so there is not as much interaction of the vibrating string with the magnetic field of the pickup, hence less signal generated. Moreover, (assuming, like vintage Fender pickups, they are both wound with the same type of wire) there is about 10 to 11 kohms' worth of wire on a P pickup, and only about 7 to 8 kohms' worth of wire on a Jazz pickup, so there is less wire in the coil to generate a signal.