Why become a member? ×

Cheap DB sought

I'm interested in taking up the double bass and was wondering if anyone had a cheap one they wanted shot of. I play viola in an orchestra and jazz piano so I'm looking to display my lack of talent in both arenas (I understand I'd need different strings and perhaps bridges but I'll cross that (bridge) when I come to it).

There are new instruments going for about £400 (gear4music etc) but they seem to be less than universally admired. While I see if it's up my street I'm not looking to spend more than maybe a couple of hundred on one. I appreciate I can only expect something pretty ropey for that price but I'm not concerned provided it's reasonably playable.

I'm in Cheshire so can pick up in the north west, or maybe further afield.

Many thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a half size antoni what a guy paid 580 for he wants 300 with gig bag and pickup and bow it has inovation strings on it and plays nice ive tried it on a gig twice looks lovely no dings in it im at stockport its 4 inches smaller in height than a 3/4 i pulled spike out for my height and it played awsome lovely bit of kit for a starter bass and you will always get back what you paid my tel no is 07802410222