Why become a member? ×

Clueless regarding stacks/rack-mounting

Rob_RDG

So, I've always played through a Trace elliott BLX-80 combo. Without a doubt the most horrific amp of all time, but all i could afford at the time.

Back on the scene after 2 years of not gigging - bit more money than when I was a student so i want something which is going to do justice to the Aerodyne jazz bass i've just treated myself to.

I've decided that I'm never playing through a combo ever again..! That's decision 1. what I'm trying to think about now is head, cab & tuner/FX pedal etc vs rack-mounted gear.

i'm a strong guy and have a car so "practicality" isn't a big problem, it's just sound and budget. I will have £400 - £600 to spend, have no problem with second hand equipment and the only condition is it all needs to fit in the back of a VW Golf!

Advice please? Everyone here seems very friendly, if scarily knowledgeable :huh:

edit - should probably add that I'll generally be looking for a beefy but punchy and bright tone. the aerodyne does that pretty well tho so anything which compliments that. i tested it through a beautiful ampeg rack head but it's about £1000 :)

Edited by Rob_RDG

Dont get hung up about rack mounting - its just a way of casing an amp as opposed to it being in a wooden box like a traditional amp or in nothing like some of the modern micro-amps. You will get much better value second hand and thats where I would look to spend your money. You are gonna struggle to to get ampeg for that money though.

I've not had a large amount of experience with many cabs, but the Hartke 4.5XL has a wonderful punchy tone. I play through that most of the time and is great.

I've played through different heads before but I've found nothing that I enjoy as much as the Warwick Pro Fets. I own a Pro Fet 3.2 which has a 300W output and has done me well so far.

Again, I've only just turned 16 and haven't had much experience :) But that's my opinion!

Dan.