Why become a member? ×

Magnets

Greggo

New alnico are in. Definitely a different sound, much rounder slightly punchier sound and the advantage is that I can have pickup higher. The preamp feels more responsive and you can hear more of a change when sweeping bass/treble controls. I'm happy with the sound!

Only snag is the pickups are also bit more microphonic and if you can hear finger sounds over the pickups and if you tap the pickup even gently it is amplified considerably.

I think some of the wax over the steel slugs may have come off would this cause it?

Is it worth rewaxing them and placing magnets down?

Edited by Greggo

Further to this, I've got the polarity of pickup correct (one magnetic was facing wrong way at one stage and the sound was out of phase) but does anyone know if the magnet has to be right way up too?

The output is much lower than expected - unless battery is dying in preamp my passive bass is considerably louder even taking into account lower resistance of pup now.

Pickup is raised relatively high too.

EDIT - this seems to have sorted itself out. The foam underneath pickup has dampened the vibrations so less noise when tapping on pup and I think the output is correct given that the alnico has lowered output of pickup. The passive bass I'm comparing it to does have hot pickups anyway

EDIT 2 - i can only assume because magnets are not big enough to fill to completely cover all pole pieces completely the output is too low to be usable - i may order a custom size set to match the size of original ceramic bars!

(or just buy a nordie!)

Edited by Greggo