Why become a member? ×

Cataldo JAEBird Custom in Fiesta Red FS

turbine

I have for sale my Cataldo JAEBird in Fiesta Red. This is a great-sounding bass with the '66 Thunderbuckers. It's in close to new condition with a few scuffs on the back, nothing through the finish. Included is an Epiphone hardshell case that's in good condition.
The Cataldo basses are well-documented as having a slightly large neck pocket and fairly rough neck finishing. This has all been alleviated by my luthier. I had him strip off the old lacquer (probably from a spray can) from the neck, fingerboard, headstock and frets (yes, the frets!). He then sprayed the neck and headstock with water based lacquer that has a slight amber tint to give it a vintage look. He also dressed the frets and did a great setup after shimming the neck and making it solid in the pocket. The neck originally had a deep C shape. I had him take it down to a shallow D shape, like a Status neck. It's amazingly smooth and comfortable now. I'm asking 800 Pounds with Express Mail included from the US.

At the time of purchase, these were upgrades:
Custom-made '66 ThunderBucker pickups (+$250)
Lightweight Gotoh Res-o-Lite vintage-style tuners (+$100)

And the neck work cost me another $200.

More details:
Honduran mahogany body
Nitro Fiesta Red finish
Custom 3-ply black pickguard
Fender-licensed jazz bass neck, one-piece maple w/skunk stripe
Bone nut
2 Piece bridge
Weight: Roughly 9 lbs

[attachment=126944:002.JPG][attachment=126945:003.JPG][attachment=126946:004.JPG][attachment=126947:007.JPG][attachment=126948:001.JPG][attachment=126949:005.JPG][attachment=126951:006.JPG]

Edited by turbine

[quote name='Porkpie' timestamp='1361133727' post='1981688']
I recently bought one of these from TommyK. Gigged it properly last night, and it really is awesome!
Well worth a gamble if you like the look of it but aren't quite sure what it'll be like. :)

Good luck with the sale :)
[/quote]

Thanks! It really is a very nice bass.

• 3 weeks later...