Why become a member? ×

I need help rewiring my Stingray

MiltyG565

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360162133' post='1965899']
You have 2 wires coming from each coil. A hot wire (+) and the earth (-). To wire a pickup in series to make it humcancelling You attach the + from one coil to the - of the other. Usually Red and white are hot, green and black are earth. red/black is one coil, green and white is t'other. Red and green go together, white is your output and black is the earth. Attach the earth (black) to the braid and screening. White to the vol and earth to the back of the vol. The back of the vol pot also should be attached to your screening. The earth of the output jack goes to the screening also to create the circuit. and obviously the output from the vol pot goes to your preamp and the output from the preamp goes to the centre of your jack. If at this point your bass is picking up interference and humming you just switch one set of wires round. A multimeter helps to identify each set of coil wires.
[/quote]

Great, thanks!

So you reckon i should wire the green and black together, and tape them off, then wire the red and white on to the red wire coming from the volume pot, and then just solder the thick black to the bare of the volume pot wire? That will be it in series then, and should be wired, correctly, yes?

I had it wired red/white, and it seemed to work, but when i turned the volume down, it only turned it down for one coil, but that was probably because the black and green were going to earth.

It sounds like it should work this way! I'm going to get a new battery!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360017284' post='1963733']

Ok, so that is a picture of the pickup that came out of it. I'm thinking it's red-power in, White-power out, bare-earth and green and blue for the coil switch. This was in a double humbucker model, and i want to make it a single humbucker version, so i removed the coil switch. The preamp had 1 wire that went to the coil switch which I assume was live, then all the wires of the pickups went to the coil switch, but how do i now wire the pickup straight into the preamp with the coil switch? Cheers guys.
[/quote]

Do you have a multimeter? That way you don't have to guess and you will know which wire is which, from the pickup.