Why become a member? ×

Jazz in Cardiff

sarah thomas

Huw Warren (piano) and Iain Ballamy (saxophone) duo followed by Lloyd Haines (drums) Quartet at Cafe Jazz, Monday 4th Feb starting at 8.45 (ish).An incredible night for £5.

Paula Gardiner (bass) trio at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, 5.30pm in the Foyer, Friday 8 Feb. Free!

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1359829890' post='1960945']
Huw Warren (piano) and Iain Ballamy (saxophone) duo followed by Lloyd Haines (drums) Quartet at Cafe Jazz, Monday 4th Feb starting at 8.45 (ish).An incredible night for £5.

Paula Gardiner (bass) trio at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, 5.30pm in the Foyer, Friday 8 Feb. Free!
[/quote]

Hi Sarah,

If that's the place on St Mary's street, they have a great blues night last Friday of the month. I must check out some Jazz too!

Do you know Mary Condliffe? She used to teach at the Welsh Col, fantastic bassist!

Gary

Thanks for the plug Sarah!

I get the weird feeling that a lot of people don't know about Jazz at Dempsey's - they put on a lot of the best jazz talent in the UK but because it's not particularly obvious where it is (even in the pub), while Cafe Jazz is easier to find but has a more variable quality of stuff on. I'm really looking forward to seeing Dave Hamblett group next week.

The Ballamy/Warren gig was amazing - they have an album with June Tabor out on ECM this year. They were both my tutors at the Royal Welsh College last year and are very nice, helpful, down to earth people - but when they play I'm scared...

Is Sir Julian Mr. Martin? Lovely bloke!

Yes, Sir Julian is Mr Martin. I go to his improvisers' class on Monday evenings. But our paths must already have crossed as I was at the Ballamy/Warren gig. Wonderful stuff and so amazing when the phone started ringing and Iain Ballamy turned the interruption into a moment of glory by incorporating it into his improvisation. And the Lloyd Haines Quartet - first jazz gig I've been to where there was an impromptu sing along!

Edited by sarah thomas

• 3 weeks later...