Why become a member? ×

A String through project

DaBu

Hi all
I'd be interested to hear your opinions on a project I'm contemplating. I've got a Mike Dirnt Precision and am thinking of changing the badass 2 bridge to a Fender Deluxe String through bridge. I can pick up the necessary equipment on eBay at a decent price.
Is it worth the risk? I have a Jazz with a string through bridge and it sounds great. If I do though I'm worried about the bridge fitting and if the finish will have been affected already by the badass 2 in place already. I also wonder will the sound difference be worth it. And would this add to the basses value?

Look forward to your thoughts on this.

Edited by DaBu

Personally I wouldn't bother. The Badass will pobably leave a little outline rash. Plus you'll have to drill the holes and get ferrules in for the string through, so no going back once you've done it - even if you don't like.

Its more likely you won't notice much difference anyway. I've got two Jazz basses, one string through with a Gotoh bridge and the other with a Badass, the one with the badass has better sustiain, but not sure if its down to the bridge or not to be honest - although I'd hazard a guess that the bridge has little to do with it.

I'm with brensabre in thinking its not worth doing. I'd be very surprised if you could hear much difference, though it is possible there will be a slight improvement. There's a sticky thread somewhere on basschat about the advantages of thru-body stringing that might be worth looking at.

One thing though: this will definitely NOT add to your bass's value. Almost all purchasers want a bass in its original condition, since, unless they know the buyer, they will presume that any mods have been done amateurishly rather than professionally.

If you still decide to go ahead (and these kinds of projects are fun, even if they bring no long-term benefit), you could take the badass off and look to see now much impression it has left on the finish, before buying another bridge and committing to the full project.

I did this with my rather expensive Schack, in fact both my schacks. Just the low B and E. I was interested in the sound advantages but it was also to give me greater string choice, as I hate how all manufacturers seem to have a generically fender size in mind so some custom basses loose out. basically i found that either the silk wrap was over the nut or bridge or the string didn't taper in time for the B string post. you see it on here all the time photos of peoples headstock with the core trying to be wound on the tuner.
So that was my main aim and sound was 2nd. I would say the Badass would make more of a difference.