Why become a member? ×

TOBIAS 5 STANDARD NECKTHROU LINED FRETLESS-SOLD!!!

fernandobicho

For sale or trade for a fretted bass,

it's my Tobias fretless. Made in the arly 90's in Japan and finished in USA by Tobias team, before Gibson change the factory[font=Arial]. Its in Excellent condition. Original Bart pups and electronics. Bart TCT 3 band pre (The mid pot is inside the control cavity, this is the way these were produced).

Its a fretless bass with a Pau Ferro fingerboard that had a clear coat applied, like a Pedulla PentaBuzz. The clear coat is in amazing condition. This fretless has tons of great "Mwah" character to it, punchy and a solid low end and sweet high end.

Its an Ash body with a maple core and bubinga stringers.

The standards were produced in that "Pre-Gibson era" or Burbank CA era. The bodies were milled in Japan and the rest of the work was completed by Mike Tobias and his crew in CA.

The line up for that time period was this:
Standard, Basic, Classic, Signature

400 BASSES HAVE MADE, A FEW WERE FRETLESS.[/font]

1250 GBP, shipping included to Europe

[font=Arial]Thank you[/font]

[font=Arial Narrow][font=Arial]Mike Tobias said: [/font][i][color=#0000FF][font=Arial]"Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 Model T basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England, and then we got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the Standard bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the dollar/yen ratio killed the project. [/font]There were about 400 Standards".[/color][/i][/font]
Thank you

Edited by fernandobicho

I don't know, but I believe not. The fretboard, lines and the sinthetic cloat are too perfect to be a defreted. [font="sans-serif"][color="#000000"][size=3]Bought it like an original fretless bass, and I believe it is. [/size][/color][/font]

[font="sans-serif"][color="#000000"][size=3]Thank you. Have a great New Year![/size][/color][/font]

I have exactly the same bass - fretted version. I believe a few of these basses were produced as fretless. Mike Tobias is a great guy and willing replies to emails - so it would be easy to check with the man himself if you wanted to. These are amazing instruments and fit like a glove in your hand with that super assymetric neck - someone buy it!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...