Why become a member? ×

Jean Baudin solo CD

Finbar

Jean's solo CD 'Solace', which he's been promising for nearly as long as I've known of him, is actually out now. He seems to have kept it quite low key, so some of you who dig him might not have known.

Just ordered me a copy anyway :)

I learned vanishing and frosty acres ages ago, one of the best solo bass composers but I felt he needed to develop his writing more, definitely ordering and look forward to seeing what he's come up with.

Can't decide whether to buy the CD or mp3s for half the price : /

Edited by Oscar South

Yeah, the mp3s aren't available yet. I went with the CD mostly for that reason, but also because I like hard copies :)

I don't think his writing needs much development, but then (oddly for me listening to a bass player), I don't listen to his music for what he's doing bass-wise or composition-wise, I just enjoy the flow of his music. Definitely one of my 'heroes' of the instrument though. Can't wait to hear it!

With regard to having to develop his sound I think that some of his compositions come off feeling a little sterile in places, with amazingly expressive sections linked to sections that feel they could be improved or replaced, also I think he needs to develop parts more throughout the course of a song rather than just repeat the same notes with the same dynamics at the buildup and climax sections.

I love his use of delays though and there aren't many other musicians that come near him.

Still waiting for mine in the post. It shipped yesterday, so shouldn't be too long.

I know Be Water My Friend is on his myspace, but I don't want to listen to it until i have the CD. I've heard the first few seconds though and it is saweet.