Why become a member? ×

Moving to OZ for good !! Transportation advice for my DB?

rikodriko

I am moving to oz at the end of the year. Really happy about that!

I have a nice fully carved bass (worth £3K), and its going in the container. So i have a few questions regarding transportation and what to do.

firstly, my main man 4stringfortress sorted me out a decent hard case.

Next ... its going to be 2-3 months in the case and in the container. Should i get a humidifier for the inside of the bass? Or should i me more worried about damp and mould? Should i loosen the strings ?

Last - im moving from the depths of winter here to the heights of summer there. I have heard stories of people saying 'dont take the bass out the case for a bit' as the change in temperature will cause warping and cracking of the table, back or ribs .. Is this true or just an old wives tale?

Any advice here from people who have done this on here?

Thanks

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Well done, I hope you enjoy it out there.

Regarding the temp change, it will go through extremes of temperature and humidity in the container through the weeks getting to you. Leaving it in the case for a day/week/whatever wont make any difference. I would just make sure it is very well packaged, like wouldn't mind if it was dropped from 10m high kind of packed well. None of the crane operators / captains / lorry drivers will give a sh*t what is in the container.