Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB 1005 Output Jack Issue

deweee

Hello guys,

I've got a Yamaha TRB 1005 a year ago, second hand, had it's tube output jack replaced with something standard like this one : [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/awCvE.jpg[/IMG]

(It's probably the exact one, but I cannot be sure because of angle of the photo.)

Because my instruments pre-amp cavity is curved, screws nut was never tight enough, got loose over time and at the end, it broke off the soldered cables. Now I can solder the cables, I don't want to carry the instrument to the luthier but as you can see from the photo there are 3 end at the output jack but I have 4 cables, 2 broken 2 intact to output jack. I tried to to match 2 cables one-by-one to the end with broken solder, cannot get any sound except static.

This is the best picture I can get. Need help, thanks !

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pPIEV.jpg[/IMG]

I'd hoped someone with a Yahama TRB might have been able to answer this for you by now.

Normally, in a bass with active electronics, a stereo jack socket (tip, ring, sleeve) is used as a "switch" to turn on the electronics when a jack is inserted and turn them off when the jack is removed.

In order to do that the "ring" part of the jack socket is used. The hot from the preamp goes to the jack socket "tip", the grounds go to the jack socket "sleeve" and a ground from the battery goes to the jack socket "ring". When a mono jack plug is inserted it will short together the "sleeve" and "ring" which then effectively switches on the battery.

Can you identify which solder tag on the jack socket is tip, ring and sleeve ? If so then that might help.

It might be that the free black wire needs to go to the free connector on the jack socket - that might be acting as the switch for the battery. But then I'm not sure where the white wire would go after that ?