Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings - are they getting cheaper???

BassPimp66

Hi,

I spotted sets of Elixir String on Amazon.
I bought a 5 string set 45-130 for [b]£35.89 (free delivery)[/b], which I found was good value for a top-of-the-range 5 string set.
Amazon quote a 36% discount on those strings (£20 off for a 5 string set). I don't believe the "real price" is £55 as claimed by amazon, but I still believe that's good value.
I recall "back in the days" Elixir came at above £40, for a 4 string set. Based on your experience with Elixir, do think they are now getting cheaper than they used to be?

I have been using Elixirs on all of my basses constantly for 4yrs and they are dropping in price. I can remember buying my first set 8yrs when I bought my old Overwater Progress III by recommendation of a friend and that set cost me almost £50. Now, I buy a 4 string set for around £32 and a separate low B for about £7.

I think they might have dropped the retail price to remain competitive in the market as there are quite a few string brands that produce coated strings now.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1348310020' post='1812123']
OK, so they are generally trending cheaper. But, £55 retail price for a 5 set quoted by Amazon is the price from 8 years ago...
[/quote]

Nah...leave that alone. You can get them way cheaper than that if you shop around. I get mine from StringSlingers.co.uk . They stock every set and gauge available...including the tapered strings. I buy the .45-.130 set for £36 + £1.50 postage. They will often give you a discount if buying in bulk. I have been buying my strings from Paul for a very long time and he has never let down. Delivery has always been very quick and he never seems to run out of stock. If you like Elixirs, he's your man!