Why become a member? ×

CALLING ALL GUITAR PAINTERS!

Hey guys

I'm trying to find someone who would be willing to lacquer a bass body for me. I bought a Precision Bass body off ebay (or could of been here actually...) but it's quite dented so i'm going to strip it down and re-shoot it in black but I don't have the know how on getting a nice smooth finish with lacquer.

So, what I'm after is any of you BC'ers who would be willing to lacquer a bass for me. I'm not going to ask you to do it for free either! I will of course pay to have it done (can't afford anything to expensive though!). I will supply the bass fully primer'd and shot in black gloss paint ready to be lacquered for my project bass.

Any takers on this one?

Cheers
Stevie

Where are you based?

The process of putting primer and paint on a body is not too different to lacquering it, in that you spray on fine coats, then sand down the primer/paint/lacquer with increasingly fine grades until smooth. The main difference with the lacquer is that you keep going through even finer grades, then an abrasive paste until it's really shiny.

So basically, if you can do the primer and paint to a standard where it's ready for lacquering, you should also have the skills to lacquer it.

I understand your reluctance, but if you're going to prime and paint the body without any sanding, I would be concerned that it would not be smooth enough to then get a professional lacquer finish without a whole load of extra prep work. Therefore, I'd recommend you have someone do the lot, or else overcome your fears and you do the lot! Mr Fingers has good advice above.

Wet sanding is actually very calming and satisfying. Dont expect to get it perfect the first time and save some paint incase of sand through. I would suggest strongly that you dont attempt to strip the poly finish, you'll be sanding till christmas. Justclean it up, fill any dings and paint over it. Not great for your tone but like i say, stripping it is a task.