Why become a member? ×

Sold pending: Stambaugh fretless 6 with aero/pope electronics, very foderaesque

nobodysprefect

Selling off a ton of basses to finance a Fodera. I bought this to see if a really good bass with Aero and Pope electronics gets you that Fodera tone. This bass does sound remarkably close to my Fodera AJ6, and the neck profile is very, very, similar. But the string spacing is, of course, not 20mm! :D

Right, so, it's a Chris Stambaugh custom-made fretless six, string spacing 17,5mm. I've had a few good fretless basses, like the Ken Lawrence CBII, and for me the best two have been the Skjold ECS6, and this one. These two don't get lost in the (stage) mix! Something that I often have trouble with on fretless. -> bad intonation! Mr. Stambaugh said that putting frets on this one is a viable option, but the price varies according to local price levels obviously. 35" scale, comes with a light hard case or gig bag. Asking GBP1500 shipped. This bass would be a killer candidate for putting frets on, as there are already slots filed on the fingerboard.... I'm fairly sure that this would really, really rock with frets.

This photo actually captures the colours as I saw them yesterday:

This one doesn't.

More pics:[url="http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/prkl0405/Stambaugh/"]http://s626.photobuc...0405/Stambaugh/[/url]

Torben's description:

[quote]Afzelia top, ebony middle layer (thin black stripe) and Mahogany back. Ebony 'fretboard' with discrete mahogany stripe inlays. Pickups have same 'sandwich' of afzelia/ebony/mahogany, and mother of pearl inlays marking placement of the magnets. Maple/purpleheart neck.

Great condition, fretboard has very, very minor marks from strings - nothing that will show up on pictures... Tonewise I have never heard anything like it... Not on recordings, live nowhere... Even with dull strings, it sounds fantastic !. I would not call it 'that Jaco sound' - This is much more punchy, with a tad more warmth to it. You can ofcourse roll off the bass, and pan to the bridge pickup if you want, but you will find that the sound is just as 'snappy' at full blast... But with alot more going on in the bottom end.

Very versatile, pickups can be switched active/passive individually etc.. Neck is ultra thin/fast, so even at the wide string spacing (19 mm.), the bass is a blast to play. Action is stupidly low, put new (black) Pyramid strings on it a while ago, and adjusted the action way down, and no buzzing or crackling. Pictures of 'new' action height upon request...[/quote]

Edited by nobody's prefect