Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB 5 String, Sound Issue

nobby1dog

Hi people can you help?

I have a Yamaha TRB 5 string and have recently been using it to play drop c tunes such. I am tuning the low b to C and the rest of the strings accoridingly. My issue is that when i tune to standard pitch, the sound is very boomy. I cant seem to eq this out either on my amp or bass. The action is quite high to accomodate the tuning and i have tried to lower the pickups without success.
Is this poor tech (i mostly use finger and attack it quite hard) or is it worth a set up? I also use a Fender Jazz loaded with seymour and it sounds great but do not wish to cut the nut for heavier strings required for the low tuning.
I play though a Hartke Ha7000 and either 1 4 x 10 or i combine it with a 1 x15, both speaker set ups have the same boomy sound.

Can anyone help before i sell my bass.

Cheers Guys

Nobby1dog

I think its best if you sell it to me cheap (because it sounds very boomy) and start using your Jazz...

What's your EQ like? My TRB its everything but boomy, in fact it only booms if i boost the lows and start cutting on the mids and highs on the EQ. I always use it with flat EQ though.