Why become a member? ×

Powering 12V Pedals e.g Markbass Super Synth/Compressoré

Johnnyc

Hey guys,

So just wondering about these pedals that require 12V power supplies; Diago do an 18V adaptor that you can use with your 9V daisy chain, is there something similar for 12V? Was googling it earlier but couldn't find much, anyone know much about this? Or do you just have to deal with using a separate PSU wall wart?

Cheers

Johnny

Unfortunately where the MarkBass pedals are concerned you are a bit stuck. While there are adapters out there for 12v (GigRig do one) and some power supplies have 12v outputs on them, the MB range have a MASSIVE draw requirement (500-600mA if I recall) which basically writes off any of those supplies doing the job. Dan @ GigRig managed to get the Super Synth powered up with an adapter but he had to wire 2 of his SupaNova's together (that would be a £100 adapter) to get it to anything but flash pretty.

My suggestion would be to stick with the correct PSU's on these pedals... anything with that kind of juice requirement is always going to be problematic.

Shep

It's just those MarkBass units. I used the Super Synth for a while... 12v supplies and adapters would turn it on and it would seem to work, then after a few minutes it'd either stop making noises, or just make 'tick tick tick' sounds, or freeze etc... The mA requirements is really quite mental, the only thing I've ever seen needing close is the Eventide stuff. Bloody Mark bass!