Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Respraying fender squier P Bass and noticed cracking in the wood?

rallyeluke

Hi

I am currently refurbing my original bass after not playing it for many year.

I used the orbital sander and managed to remove all off the original paint (reason being I had tried to "relic" it when I was young 17 year old lad) I then proceeded to rub it down untill I was at around 400 grit wet and dry and then sprayed it in primer grey (automotive) and did 3 thin coats and let it dry ready for rubbing down, it was at this point that I noticed what I first thought to be the wood cracking around the holes for the scratch plate and also the neck plate.

I am assuming the wood has a thick coat of sealing lacquer or something similiar applied to it?

Is the only option to try and sand through this coating to get to the actual wood and then primer from there?

Many thanks

Lucas

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1344340835' post='1763000']
If you've been at it with an orbital sander you've probably gone through the original sealer coat anyway.
[/quote]

See this is what I thought originally but the wood still looks shiney underneath the primer, surely it should be matte finish if all the sealer is gone?

Edited by rallyeluke