Why become a member? ×

Vintage '80s Dean Markley 2 Channel Preamp (Solid State/Vale) Made in USA

7enderhead

In the mid-Eighties, Dean Markley tried to get into the amplification business. Their first series of products was built in the USA and had good reputation, but rather quickly disappeared due to the high price tag. Here we have the bass preamp from around 1985/86.

It sports two channels, of which in the second you can activate a valve stage. The second channel therefore has a separate master volume to be able to drive the valve without excess volume. Both channels have their own 5-band equalizer.

The preamp has bi-amping capabilities with selectable crossover frequency (from 150 to 1200 Hz). The serial effects loop has gain trimmers for both send and return signal. Channel switching can and effects switching has to be done by foot switches.

This is a well-equipped pre, and its tones speak with authority. The solid state channel is clear, crisp, but without any unpleasant clinically 'cool' aspects. With the valve engaged, you can obtain everything from slight grizzle to compressing crazyness. I always used the amp without any adjustments to the EQ (which for me is a good if not necessary sign in an amp), but if you choose to use it, the frequencies have been wisely chosen to avoid unmusical outcomes.

I have checked every function on the amp, and everything works just fine. The pots have this high-quality 'creamy' touch and perform noiseless. I would give it 9 out of 10 points, because of some superficial scratches and the missing rubber feet (which would get in the way when mounting it in a 2 unit rack anyway).

How about [size=5]£199 including tracked shipment[/size] with GLS to the UK? Trade-wise I would look for basses only, since amp-wise I'm all settled (and I don't seem to use effects anymore).

[attachment=114795:IMG_2669.JPG] [attachment=114796:IMG_2670.JPG] [attachment=114797:IMG_2671.JPG] [attachment=114798:IMG_2672.JPG] [attachment=114799:IMG_2673.JPG] [attachment=114800:IMG_2674.JPG] [attachment=114801:IMG_2675.JPG] [attachment=114802:IMG_2676.JPG] [attachment=114803:IMG_2677.JPG]

Edited by 7enderhead