Why become a member? ×

Hartke A100 combo needs repair: where?

mcnach

I have this Hartke A100 combo. A bit large for a practice amp, but I love the sound.
The thing is it sounds a little distorted. There is always a bit of distortion under the notes I play, with any bass, any EQ etc. A bit as though I had a distortion pedal with the blend knob nearly fully towards the dry signal, so that only a tiny bit of distorted signal were added.
It is the amplifier, as I tried the amp with an external cab and the distortion was still there, but I tried another head with the built-in speaker and it sounded great.

Does anybody have any suggestions where I could have this amp checked and repaired?
I am in Edinburgh. Obviously I'd prefer someone reasonably local so that I can drive in with the whole amp. But I could easily remove the amplifier section and post that if necessary... although that would bring the repair cost up, so it's not ideal.

[quote name='HartkeUK' timestamp='1343058436' post='1744489']
Hi Mcnach

You can try www.iimusicshops.com on 01315548844 who may be able to put you in touch with a local engineer. Otherwise they will arrange to get it sent back to us here.
[/quote]

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I actually just got in touch with a local amp repair man who has pretty good reputation. I'll take the amp to him at the weekend and see what he thinks. If I don't find a solution I'll phone the number you gave me and see whether we can arrange to send it to you. It's a nice sounding amp and I hope I can remove that background distortion.

Jose

• 1 month later...

No fix yet.

I took it to Dennis Marshall, but I think I didn't make clear what the problem was. He noticed a couple of loose components and thought it was a mechanical thing. I picked it up... of course, it was still there. This time I made sure he heard it. :)
After a couple of days he said he had not yet figured out the issue, then he was going to be away... now I'm going away... so I hope to find out by the first week in october.

I'll report back here. If you make some progress, please let us know here too. Very nice sounding amp, otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: not fixed.

Have you had any luck with yours?

My amp has been for a month with a guy that I found was highly recommended here, with whom I'm less than happy (I'll probably expand on that later).
It's clearly the amp, not the speaker or anything mechanical. The guy has done something (don't know what) which did not fix it, and now he is convinced it's the speaker... despite my having shown him how another amp plugged into the combo produces no buzz whatsoever, he's heard it! He gave me quotes for new speakers, at which point I said to stop right there and I'm taking the amp home.

grrrr.

Edited by mcnach

• 4 months later...