Why become a member? ×

warwick thumb with wibbly truss

lowdowner

So I visited BassDirect (in warwick) today and Mike took a look at my Thumb - it seemed to have a slightly concave neck and a high action and I wasn't so happy with the playability. Mike took a look and declared the truss rod to be too loose and pretty much ineffectual...

Just a warning - this was bought from new, and the truss rod was 'factory set'... always worth getting it checked out by someone who knows what they're doing

plays like a dream now :)

lowdowner - Sorry to hear this! Changes can always take place once the instrument leaves the facility, depending on climatic changes, etc. Did you purchase it from a music store? Hopefully the store will keep a good setup, but not always. All basses are setup to precise specs before leaving the factory in Germany, but we have no control what happens after they leave. I'm glad to hear things were sorted out...please let me know if you ever need assistance. Thanks!

OMG I've been rumbled by the Gods of Bass! :(

Don't get me wrong, both my Thumbs (4 string B.O. and Fretless 4 string B.O.) are phenomenal and I wouldn't swap them for the world. I noticed that the action was a little high and took it in and the truss rod was just 'loose'. This was causing the neck to bend slightly and the action was then not consistent across the neck. It didn't take much to make it perfect.

When I first bought the bass I hadn't had much experience with setup so I didn't realise that it could be even better - now I know and I'd just recommend people to have it checked by someone who knows what they're doing with the initial setup.

Now it's perfect - I can't praise it enough! :)