Why become a member? ×

SWR LA15 speaker buzz

hi folks, my SWR LA15 has developed a buzz, ive already had two resistors swapped because they burned out and since then have only used it for practicing at home at not very significant volumes for short amounts of time, last week i took it for a practice with a new band and was playing it at 3/4 volume for nearly two hours straight, i know these things suffer from overheating but having tried the amp back at home,it still sends a signal to the speaker and still goes really loud,just distorted and buzzy so i suspect that it is a blown speaker. having tried a couple of different leads and guitars the buzz remains. i've dealved into the back of the thing and none of the circuitry looks charred and have disconnected the tweeter, but again, this doesn't solve the problem. i do like this amp because it's tiny and packs a punch and wonder if any other BCers have dealt with this problem combo before and where to source a good replacement speaker from.

cheers, Lee.

There have been quite a few threads on blown speakers, so it's probably worth a search in the Amps and Cabs forum as well as this one.

A few things to look for: Anything touching the cone (including anything hidden in the corners of the basket), dressing of the speaker leads (including the small ones between terminal and voice coil), things stuck to the magnet, loose speaker bolts/ battens/ handles, rips and tears to the cone (these can the repaired) and a dust cap that is coming unstuck (ditto). And probably a few other things that I can't think of right now. :rolleyes:

It might be worth gently pressing in the cone to check if it moves freely with no grating noises as well - if it doesn't it's new speaker time.