Why become a member? ×

Earthing short,need advice for tonights gig.

Monckyman

Hello all, I huureidly switched pickguards on my P bass yesterday, quickly checked I was getting signal on headphones at home, and went to my gig.
Turned out I was only getting full volume when the tone pot was fully open.
The moment I rolled the tone off, the volume went down to half.
Now, I had a look at the old guard, and noted it doesn`t have any screening material where the pots fix,whereas the replacement guard does.
Could this be shorting my circuit out?
I`m off for an hour to my reg room to try and sort it before the gig, but any advice is welcome.
The bass worked perfectly before swapping PGs,but the Tort ,just wasn`t JJ enough for me..:(
>Idiot

Yes. That could be a problem. Switch everything back (slowly, carefully) to the old pickguard and see if you still have the problem. If not, then you will have to sort it out to make sure the pot lugs don't touch the pickguard. If you are still having the problem, then unfortunately, it sounds like you may have damaged a wire about the pickup or the controls in your hurry to change pickguards. If you have an ohmmeter, take the hot lead loose from the volume pot and measure the pickup to see that it's in range for dc ohms. If it reads too high or low, or won't stabilise, then you have a problem. The first thing to do is to touch a soldering iron to the terminals on the pickup to make sure the leads haven't pulled loose from the coil wire. If the pickup reads as it should, then check to see that a wire has not been pulled from a pot, tone circuit, or jack. Sometimes gremlins just creep in (for example, from the flux not completely evaporating as the circuit is soldered), and you may have to redo all the solder joints.

Sorry this is late - just noticed the thread.

Don't worry about switching everything back, just get some tin foil and stick it to the underside of the pick guard where the controls go so it acts as an earthing conductor between the 2 pots or just connect a wire between the casings of the 2 pots. I have had the same problem in the past but that sorted it for me.

Hope this helps dude!